Brighton Secondary School promotes and supports a collaborative inquiry approach to the professional learning of teachers to ensure they deliver world-class curriculum, assessment practices and pedagogies to students.
Teachers work collaboratively in faculty teams linked to subject areas, as well as in cross-curricula Teacher Learning Communities (TLCs) to advance their knowledge and skills in developing curriculum and pedagogies.
The TLCs from 2013 to 2014 were organised around the Australian Cross Curriculum Priorities (Asia and Australia’s Engagement with Asia, Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Histories and Cultures, Sustainability) and the General Capabilities (Literacy, Numeracy, Social and Personal, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding, Intercultural Understanding, Information and Communication Technology). The work of these teams culminated in a professional learning day where achievements were shared with the whole teaching staff using Apple based technologies such as iMovie.
Brighton Secondary School was fortunate to be one of six schools invited by Apple to develop an iBook reflecting the Big Idea, ‘Identity’. Adam Brice led the teachers in showcasing a variety of Apps as part of the Challenge Based Learning project. They included the Australian Curriculum – Mobile Edition; Glassboard – Private Chat for Small Groups and Business; WeeMee Avatar Creator; instaGrok; Superhero Builder – Comic Book Hero and Villain Creator; Venn diagram; Pic Collage; and the Haiku Deck Presentation and Slideshow App.
In 2014, a team of teachers participated in a pilot project to write iTunes U courses which developed their skills and techniques in ibooks, videos, apps and discussion boards.
In 2014, all Brighton Secondary School teachers were privileged to hear about the programs delivered at the Apple Distinguished School, Esser Academy in London, at an event that was held at BSS (in conjunction with Apple) for educators from all sectors as well as Apple personnel.
In 2015 the Professional Learning program had two complementary strands:
- The Institute for Educational Assessors course designed to support a whole school commitment to reflect, evaluate and improve assessment practices.
- TLCs are focused on using an inquiry approach to creating a ‘flipped classroom’ where recorded content leverages class time so that greater emphasis can be placed on the application of knowledge.
In 2016 the Professional Learning program has three foci:
- TLCs continue to focus on the ‘flipped classroom’
- Positive education
- Internal moderation
MY FLIPPED CLASSROOM
This is a summary of the amazing experiences I have had over the last two years since I began producing video lesson content for my Biology students. My students have certainly benefitted and their results have improved. I have visited the U.S. and met some amazing people who are doing some incredible work. I have also inspired other teachers in my school to start producing their own videos! If you would like to find out more, check out my blog at jeremylecornu.wordpress.com and follow me on Twitter @MrLeCornu.
ASIA EDUCATION FOUNDATION 2014 CONFERENCE
ADVANTASIA ASIA LITERACY PROJECT
Advantasis Asia Literacy Project involved the participation by Brighton Secondary School and Brighton Primary and Warradale Primary Schools.
- Our vision is to build intercultural understanding through valuing service
- We wish to build knowledge and understanding through a number of community projects which will contribute to building Asia literacy
- Parents, teachers and students will develop personal qualities and interpersonal skills through service to these community projects
The Aims of the Project are as Follows:
- To develop a greater awareness and involvement in the understanding of and connectedness to Asian Cultures thus enhancing the Australian Curriculum in our schools
- To promote student involvement with the Japanese language
- To develop Staff Professional Learning Communities
- To develop Student Learning Communities
- To establish community projects
- To explore the meaning of language
iBook Application for AD Educator